The Institutional Real Estate Letter - Australia
December 1, 2014: Vol. 3 Number 4Buy For $65.00 Add to Cart
Australia bound: Chinese property investors are pursuing opportunities in Oz, but will China's slowing economic growth curb the flow of capital?
The Middle Kingdom has become Australia’s top trading partner, absorbing endless amounts of raw materials from its resource-rich near neighbour. Most recently, Chinese developers have taken a taste for real estate investment in Australia, providing a welcome source of new capital.
Hunting for value: A-REITs are starting to seek growth through means other than buying assets
This quarter, Property Investment Research reviews the most recent A-REIT reporting season.
Systemic risk: How do offshore investors view Australia based on a reassessment of systemic risk factors?
Australia is a beneficiary of two major themes impacting commercial real estate investment markets.
Alternative REITs: One year on, the predictable income from alternative REITs is a big draw
This quarter, Property Investment Research revisits a topic we discussed in late 2013 — “alternative” property, a catch-all term for property outside the traditional asset classes of retail, office and industrial.
Unfinished business: The end of deleveraging in Europe is in sight for some, but major work lies ahead for others
Commercial real estate deleveraging in Europe has unwound at greatly differing paces across jurisdictions to such an extent that some early-mover markets are now entering the final phase of legacy disposals, while in other jurisdictions the real work is still ahead.
International property investment up nearly 40% worldwide
Globally, cross-border real estate investment has increased 38.8 percent year-over-year to US$201.7 billion (A$234 billion) for the 12 months ended June 2014, compared with 11.3 percent growth in domestic purchases.
HOSTPLUS, Charter Hall JV buys Australian portfolio
Sydney-based Charter Hall Group has announced a 50-50 partnership with HOSTPLUS, a A$15 billion Australian superannuation fund, to acquire a A$603 million portfolio of Australian properties. The seller is ALH Group.
TH Real Estate enters Australian market
TIAA Henderson Real Estate has acquired a 75 percent interest in Mount Ommaney Centre in Brisbane with its partner Federation Centres, which will own the remaining 25 percent of the centre.